Our Church

Faith United Parish

 

Home
Our Mission
Our Church
Our Pastor
Event Calendar
Photo Gallery
Contact Us
Church Links

 

Sunday Worship is at  10:00am

Sunday School is offered and Nursery Care is Provided

Coffee Hour and Fellowship after service

About Us

Faith United Parish is an urban cooperative ministry of The Calvinistic Congregational Church (United Church of Christ) and The First United Methodist Church (United Methodist Church).  Our journey together  began in 1967 with the merger of these two historic Fitchburg churches. We continue to grow in faith, working together in our efforts to reach out to the community and world beyond our doors.  Drawing from the rich heritages and traditions of both denominations, we are a caring and loving church that functions as one family in Christ.

Our History

Our sanctuary is the "third meeting house" on this site at the corner of Main and Rollstone Streets.

H. M. Francis (1836-1908), the local architect, was a member of the church and wished to create a structure not only worthy of his profession, but also as a glorious contribution to the community. In 1897, impressed by the Romanesque Revival Style of renowned architect Henry Hobson Richardson (particularly that of Trinity Church on Coply Square in Boston), Francis designed the third building for the Calvinistic Congregational Church and produced one of the best examples of Richardsonian architecture remaining today. For that reason, the building was enrolled on the National Register of Historic Places on June 15, 1979.

The building is home to magnificent stained-glass windows. The Rose Window, representing the Angelic Choir, 20 feet in diameter and located over the front entrance, is by Redding, Baird & Company. Five Tiffany stained-glass windows, gifts of the Rodney Wallace family, beautify the sanctuary.

 

 

 

 

 

(click to enlarge pictures)

 

Home | Our Mission | Our Church | Our Pastor | Event Calendar | Photo Gallery | Contact Us | Church Links

This site was last updated 06/12/06